Wintertime often shows different training routines for athletes, particularly runners who find themselves training indoors on equipment instead of battling the chilly weather. As Spring approaches, long pants will be traded in for shorts and feet will begin to hit the pavement once again. During the first few weeks of adjusting to warmer weather, the body tends to creak and moan, often placing runners at a higher probability for injuries. Fast Relief Acupuncture specializes in therapies that aim to prevent and treat athlete’s injuries and sustain a healthy lifestyle during each season of their career.
By adding regular acupuncture treatments into your training routine, you are adding in a wealth of beneficial measures that will supply long-lasting advantages to running. Fast Relief Acupuncture has compiled our top 5 favorite benefits of Acupuncture for runners in the Spring:
- 1Acupuncture therapies improve circulation – Blood circulation is one of the most important aspects of running. After all, it is what gets oxygen to your heart, lungs and extremities and pushes you to the lengths your body can go. Acupuncture techniques, such as needling, improves blood circulation throughout the body by encouraging movement which reduces inflammation and promotes self-healing. This process creates a healthier environment for faster healing and recovery.
- 2Fast Relief Acupuncture uses Cupping Therapy - Like a deep tissue massage, Cupping Therapy allows relaxation of tight muscles as it promotes blood flow, reduces inflammation, and decreases pain. Runners often use Cupping Therapy to heal injuries or, most commonly, as a preventive measure.
- 3Acupuncture can help strengthen the immune system - Having a healthy immune system is important during intense training schedules. Being sick, even for just a few days, can throw off an athlete’s ability to train to their full potential, especially runners. Regular acupuncture treatments, 1-2 times every week, can boost the body’s immune system by increasing the production of red and white blood cells and T-Cells. These cells make up the body’s defense system.
- 4Encouraging sleep and rest is a top priority for health - One of the main ways that our body relaxes, rejuvenates and re-sets is sleep and rest. Acupuncture promotes a relaxing environment, enabling the release of Endorphins and Relaxin, two hormones responsible for stress-relief. When the body is better relaxed, it is more apt to enter a natural, routine sleep schedule. Fast Relief Acupuncture also encourages athletes to take a day off from training to let the body re-coup. Acupuncture appointment days are great for taking the rest of the day slowly.
- 5Reducing proneness to injuries is one of the most important aspects - Acupuncture helps minimize the chance of runners obtaining injuries during their training schedules, especially after coming out of a slow winter. When the body can manage self-healing processes naturally and systems are balanced, injuries are less likely to happen. Combining good circulation, specialized therapies, a strengthened immune system, and the proper amount of sleep and rest, runners can often enjoy a full training season with less injuries and more training time.
Fast Relief Acupuncture specializes in sports medicine practices, including keeping runners on the road by supplying preventive treatments, innovative acupuncture therapies, and knowledge to use even in the off seasons. We will never let you cross the finish line alone. Call Fast Relief Acupuncture today to get started running the race to your ultimate health goals!
My Name is John Kim
I have been a licensed acupuncturist since 2000. When I first started my acupuncture career, my primary goal as a practitioner was to help people anguishing from living with pain everyday of their lives. I have seen on numerous occasions what chronic pain can do to a person physically but also seen how it can debilitate a person’s psyche as well.
Throughout the years, I have studied, developed and incorporated a very unique treatment protocol that has successfully treated and effectively reduced pain levels on chronic pain patients. I have combined traditional methods of acupuncture along with modern, research proven techniques to help reduce chronic pain symptoms in a safe, non- chemically addictive, and effective process.
If you have any of the following:
• Headache/ Migraine
• Arthritis/ Stenosis
• Nerve pain
• Neck/Back pain
• Fibromyalgia pain
• Plantar Fasciitis
Do not hesitate and contact me!
I am here to help you to feel your very best!